John 15:1-4

John 15:1-4 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."

Monday, March 12, 2012

God Knows

Recently, a conversation during my community group “girl” time arose regarding worry.  A few sweet friends did not regard me as a “worrier”…which was such a flattering and sweet compliment to receive, as I’ve definitely struggled against this in the past, and still have my moments even now of battling the sin issue of worry.  But one of the best arguments I could give against this worry temptation was the simple and profound statement of God Knows.  A brilliant and encouraging friend of mine from Watermark, Jessica Gober, says this all the time and it has done my heart more good than she realizes in the last year.  It sums up so much of the Lord’s sovereignty and love for us.  The second I’m tempted to think of worry, control, anxiousness, etc…I can remind myself that God Knows.  He knows every moment that has been and will be and promises me that He has plans to prosper me (Jeremiah29:11), so why worry, why control, why be anxious?
If my child were to have a heart issue, or have down syndrome, or my home to burn down, or our finances to flop after we move to 1 income…God Knows all of this already and has a perfect plan to teach us more about His love and will work it out ultimately for His kingdom’s Glory.  He knew this pregnancy would be hard on my body, but He continues to remind me how much of a blessing it is and what an honor it is to carry a child, so why be anxious about this sickness?  It will subside at some point, and until then, I’m trying to remind myself of God’s care for me and this child and I need to view this time as an opportunity to grow closer to Christ in my moments of desperation.
If God Knows and loves us so much to adopt us as His children (Ephesians 1:5) and make beautiful plans for us, then there is no need for silly worry!  Matthew 6:25-34 discusses the pointless time we waste on worry, one of its sweetest reminders is where he points out how much more valuable we are to God than even the birds of the air, and God feeds even them.  What can we add of any value to our lives by spending time worrying (verse 27)?  Let’s remind ourselves of verse 33 today and seek first God’s kingdom and righteousness, NOT worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment