John 15:1-4

John 15:1-4 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."

Friday, March 2, 2012

My Baby’s Lullaby

The other night, James and I had an evening of “realizations”.  We’re seeing my belly begin to grow, realizing we have about 6 months until Baby arrives, and already into my second trimester…wow it’s happening so quickly.  As I laid down, my mind was racing with thoughts of to do’s and projects and plans, I could not turn it all off.  I laid there praying for rest and peace, but did not receive it…or so I thought.  Among those desperate prayers for sleep, my mind began to wonder – towards sweet-tart and imaging rocking it to sleep in my arms so soon.  Immediately the image of Dumbo being rocked by His mother’s trunk popped into my head, as well as the lullaby sung to Him in that moment.  It’s called Baby Mine.  I knew the first verse of it, but couldn’t remember the rest.  In that moment I had another realization…this would be the song I chose to be sweet-tart’s special lullaby.  To sing when baby can’t stop crying, or go to sleep, or feels sad, or just needs to hear momma’s loving voice.   Below I’ve listed out the lyrics and a video of the song. 


Baby mine, don't you cry.
Baby mine, dry your eyes.
Rest your head close to my heart,
Never to part,
Baby of mine.

Little one when you play,
Don't you mind what they say.
Let those eyes sparkle and shine,
Never a tear,
Baby of mine.

If they knew sweet little you,
They'd end up loving you too.
All those same people who scold you
What they'd give just for the right to hold you.

From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, heaven knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.


As I’ve listened to it over and over already being sure I have it fully memorized, it began to remind me of how God feels about us.  What a sweet relationship a child has to its parent, and how honored we are that God calls us His children.  1 John 3:1 “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!  And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.”  Wow, John puts it beautifully, how great is our Father’s love for us that we get to be His children.  I just imagine Jesus singing this sweet lullaby to me in my moments of sleeplessness, sadness, or pain.  Can you picture Jesus cherishing you in the same way?  What a peaceful reminder of our Father’s care for us, praying we can rest in this truth tonight.

1 comment:

  1. so blessed that i get to have you as the mother of my children....what on earth did i do right?? I love you soo much! -james

    ReplyDelete